Ian comes home with new things every day that he learned at school or from watching SpongeBob at the sitter's or just from being in the outside world. For example, one day he told me, "Fact is real and fiction is not real." This is when we really start losing control of the flow of information to his brain. Who knows what he's learning on the bus or from other kids at school? He asked Jeff one night, "When I was in Mommy's belly, where was Lia?" "Lia didn't exist yet." "Where did Lia come from?" Jeff thought he was going to have to go into the whole birds and the bees talk, but decided to answer truthfully and scientifically anyway. "Well, Ian, humans are like dinosaurs -- we have eggs, too. But the eggs are inside the mommies..." Ian's eyes started glazing over and he moved on to something more interesting. (Now we know when we get those kinds of questions, the best thing to do is bore him with the scientific explanation.)
So we took him to see his first Yankees game at the new Yankee Stadium (inaugural season, had to do it), and at the 7th inning, the grounds crew came out and did their thing to "YMCA". In the middle of it, Ian looks up and asks me, "Do you know who sings this song?" I asked him if he knew, thinking, oh boy, if he knows who The Village People are already, I may be in for it sooner than I thought. He looked up at me and very seriously said, "Yes. It's Elmo." I think I still have some time.
No comments:
Post a Comment