Friday, September 25, 2009

"But why can't we do homework on Fridays?"

Ian had his first full week of homework this week. Daddy has to help him because half of his homework is in Spanish and half is in English. The homework involves practicing how to write his letters, drawing pictures of things that start with a particular letter, cutting and pasting, etc. The teacher for his Spanish classroom, Sra. Riess, hands out the homework packet on Monday and expects it all to be turned in on Friday. The teacher for his English classroom, Mrs. Basaria, hands out the homework packet on Monday, but expects one assignment to be handed in every day.

This morning, Ian and I had this conversation:
Me: "What day is it today, Ian?"
Ian: "Friday."
Me: "Yep."
Ian: "Why don't we have homework on Fridays?"
Me: "Because tomorrow is Saturday and there is no school on Saturday."
Ian (eyes filling with tears): "But why can't we do homework on Fridays?"
Me: "Because the teacher doesn't give you any and there is no school on Saturdays."
Ian (getting more worked up): "But I LIKE to do homework! Why can't we do homework on Fridays?"
Me: "Why don't you ask your teachers today to give you some homework."

Ian calmed down and wiped his tears. I don't know if he'll actually ask, but Jeff has offered to give him some homework. Plus, he has Chinese school homework. Speaking of which, he did his homework last week, which was writing the first 4 characters of the phonetic alphabet (bo, po, mo, fo). I didn't think any of it was sinking in, then later in the week, he started writing them in the bathtub with the bath crayons! YAY!!!

One more thing: the other morning I was waiting with Ian at the bus stop and he turns to me and says, "Mommy, let me give you a hug and a kiss now so when the bus comes I will be all set." AHHHHH! He gets me right in the heart every time! Jeff chuckled when I told him because Jeff had said that to Ian the day before. Jeff said he figured he wouldn't embarass Ian in front of all the kids on the bus. Oh, I hope it's a while before Ian gets too embarassed to give us a hug and a kiss before getting on the bus. He did it this morning -- first a kiss, then a big hug. So sweet!

1 comment:

XW said...

Jiu Ma is melting over here!! Ian is SUCH a sweet boy. Please give him a big kiss and hug from M.A.X.