Monday, July 06, 2009

Philosophy 101

I should have studied more philosophy. Ian is averaging about one philosophical question a week. First there was the question to Jeff about whether the radio could hear him talking (see "Passing The Torch"). Then a couple of weeks ago when we were driving by the pond near his school, I spotted a white bird and asked him if it was an ibis. He peered out of the car, then said, "It's eating a fish, so it is a white crane." OK, I'll accept that. He must have been thinking for the next few seconds, and then he asked, "Mommy, do birds know their names?"

Then one morning last week, as he was sitting on his red chair pulling on his socks, he asked me, "Mommy, do toys know that they are toys?"

Grandpa studied philosophy in college, so I'll let him field those when they come to visit.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Next time he asks a philo question, throw one back at him. That'll teach him!

Flora said...

Today he asked me where the radio was. He commented that the people on the radio were very far away. I told him that some were in New York. He asked, "Are some people in Taiwan?" Sure, I said. "Are some people in Florida?" Mmm hmm. So we listened for a while and the story was about the Uighurs and Hans fighting in Xinjiang and they interviewed a Han woman. Ian exclaimed, "Hey, she's talking in Chinese! Why is she talking in Chinese?" I told her that was where she was from. He said, "I heard her crying. Why was she crying?" I told him because people were fighting and it made her sad. He was satisfied with that.

Liz said...

He has such a profound understanding of the human experience already. I'm so proud to be related to him. :o)