Friday, June 12, 2009

Passing the Torch

One of the great things of being a parent is the opportunity to teach your children everything you know about life in the hope that it will serve them well in the future. It's not just the big things, but the little things too. A few weeks ago Ian had to go potty and asked me while we were in the bathroom downstairs, "What are these for?" "Those are magazines for people to read while sitting on the potty," I replied. "Oh. Can I read one," said Ian. "Sure." Fastforward a few weeks and Ian is now an avid reader of the Technology Review while sitting on the throne (okay, he's mostly looking at the pictures). And so it came to pass that Ian joined a brotherhood of men stretching back to the beginning of time. (Yes, I'll try not to hurt myself as I pat myself on the back for another job well done.)

And just a few days ago in the car on the way to school:

Ian: "Daddy, can the radio listen to us?"
Me: "No, Ian, the radio can't listen to us."
Ian: "Well, how about if they were driving in our car and we were on the radio?"

Touché.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hahaha, brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.