Friday, July 17, 2009

A new font

Ian's drawings have become even more detailed and his current preferred medium is magic marker. Last week, he drew this at school:
From 2009-07-10 Ian's artwork with flourishes

It is a colorful spinosaurus. I believe those are hearts on it. I asked him who wrote his name on there and he said that he did. I asked him who showed him how to make that design and he said nobody. He made it up himself. I think it's pretty cool! The back of that picture is this one:

He said that Mommy is driving the rocket and Ian, Daddy, Lia, Grandpa and Abuelita are riding in it. I believe that is a yellow dinosaur on the left. and another one on the bottom.

His friend Anna's birthday party was last week, so I asked him to draw a card for her. He was happy to do it and very seriously got down to business creating it. First, the front cover:


Then he wrote the back cover:

He had recently learned the word "mad" and has been incorporating it into many of his works.

He elected not to draw anything on the cover. But the inside contained quite a masterpiece:

Anna likes butterflies, so he drew a beautiful multi-colored butterfly with flowers and grass and a watering can. He knows how to spell all the words that he wrote except for "birthday", so I told him how to spell it. He stopped me and said, "You're going too fast! I have to do something. I will let you know when I am ready." So he added his flourishes to each letter and then would let me know when I could tell him the next letter.

He signed his name, but ran out of room for "Slater" and ended up with just "SL". In case you're wondering, the little backwards "c" between "IAN" and "SL" is an apostrophe. He likes to use those. And he only remembered to write "Love" after he had already written his name, so he added it underneath -- along with a slice of bread. Not sure what the artist had in mind with that. Just when I thought he was done, he said, "Wait, I have to do something else." And he added the three dinosaurs peering down from the upper right. That's his signature "thing". The dinosaurs like to peek into his pictures.

I think he's a pretty good little artist and he loves drawing things for his friends and teachers. He's written a couple of books already. His first one was "RACE CAR NET", three words he learned how to spell. His teacher stapled the pages together for him to make a book (carefully putting tape over the staples) and Ian was so proud of that book. He carried it everywhere and showed everyone. He worked on it some more at home, then brought it back to school and the teachers let him read it aloud to his friends. Corinda said the kids were all so impressed with all of his details and the clapped when he was done.

Corinda's birthday is today and I asked Ian to write a book for her and he sighed heavily and said, "Why do I always have to write a book?" But in the end he did write a book for her and we wrapped it nicely last night. He chose purple wrapping paper and green ribbon. Then he wanted to "make another present". I told him we didn't have any other present. He grabbed his snow bug book (which he likes) and said, "Can I give this to Corinda?" I said no. So then he grabbed his Dr. Seuss' ABC Book, to which I also said no. He started getting teary-eyed and said pleadingly, "But I don't like this book!" I told him that I didn't think Corinda would want that book and the tears spilled out and he sobbed at me, "But I want to give her lots of presents! She will like lots of presents!" To keep from being drowned in his tears (and to get him to go to bed), I quickly went and grabbed a chocolate bar and let him wrap it up. We then put stickers on everything and wrapped the green ribbon around the presents. He was satisfied and went to bed happy. This morning, he was so excited and wanted to carry the presents into school himself. Corinda wasn't there yet, so I'll find out soon how the presents were received...

No comments: