Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Ian made a present for Daddy in school for Father's Day. He gets so excited when he makes a present. On Saturday, which was horrible and rainy so we were stuck inside, he asked me, "Mommy, can you help me make a present?" I asked him how we should go about making a present and he told me that first we needed "something square". So I found a small empty box and his face lit up. He opened the lid and asked, "What can we put inside?" He found a couple of coins from the Philippines and thought that would be good. I suggested he put in the present he made at school. He wholeheartedly concurred and we put it in. Last, but not least, we put a smiley face sticker inside. He then went and grabbed some new wrapping paper rolls I bought recently and asked if we could wrap the present in the paper. So I showed him how to wrap it and he helped put the tape on. Then we set it aside for Daddy to open on Sunday. About 10 seconds later, Ian asked me, "Where's Daddy? Can I show him his present?" I told him that Daddy was outside (poor Jeff was getting some yardwork done in the drizzle), but Father's Day wasn't until tomorrow, so shouldn't we wait? "No, I just want to SHOW him."

So we went to the front door and Ian proudly showed Daddy his present. When Jeff came in later, he asked Ian if he should open it right away or wait until tomorrow. Ian nonchalantly responded, "Open it tomorrow."

Sunday morning, he came bouncing in and Jeff offered to let him get in bed with us. He got changed first, then came back and asked me where Daddy's present was. "I will go downstairs and get it. You wait here!" he instructed. When he came back with it, he said, "After we come back from the Little Gym, Daddy can open it." Apparently, that's what he and Jeff had agreed to on Saturday and he was sticking to the deal. But since he was so excited, Jeff asked, "Should I open it now or after we come back?" Again, Ian nonchalantly tossed out, "It's up to you, Daddy."

Well, Daddy opened his present right then and he opened the present from Lia, too. And this morning before school, Ian said to me, "Daddy has soooo many presents."

******************

As mentioned previously, Ian is the king of dilatory tactics at bedtime. He can stretch things out and I guess we just let him get away with it sometimes. Last night, he tried again after we had read a story and turned out the light. We were laying there quietly and then...

Ian: "Mommy, I need a tissue."
Me: "OK, do you have a booger."
Ian: "Yes, it's on my finger."
Me: "Nice." [I wipe it off with a tissue.]
Ian: "Mommy, can you turn on the light so I can see it?"
Me: "No, Ian, it's time to sleep." [I put the tissue on top of the bookcase.]
[Ian stands up and tries to look at the tissue.]
Me: "That's it. I'm leaving. Lie down now!"
[I get him to lie down and then give him a pat.]
Me: "I love you, now go to sleep."
Ian: "I DON'T love YOU.'
Me: "Fine. Go to sleep."
[I have one foot out the door and am shutting it...]
Ian: "Mommy, I want to give you a hug and a kiss."
Me: "Oh, really? But you don't love me."
Ian: "But I want to give you a hug and a kiss."
Me: "So do you love me now?"
[Ian doesn't answer me and gives me a hug and a kiss.]
Me: "Do you love me?"
Ian [with one hand around my neck and the other doing a lecturer-type hand motion]: "Mommy, if I give you a hug and a kiss, it means I love you!" [like, duh!]

How can I resist this?

******************************

UPDATE: Jeff went to school for the Father's Day snack and the kids did the "Freeze Dance" and demonstrated how they use the computer:

No comments: