Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Ian's been eating in spurts. Some days all he wants is milk, other days it's all carbs. Last week, Jeff had to go to DC. The night Jeff was getting home, I made Ian's favorite veggie, asparagus. I just boil it for a few minutes, then toss it with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some salt. Well, I used sea salt this time and I guess it really got Ian's attention. I bought a bunch of asparagus, which I think is about a pound. Of course I broke off the ends, so it wasn't actually a pound of asparagus that got cooked, but Ian ate almost all of it by himself. I had about 4 or 5 spears. He kept saying, "Moh?" and chomping down. When Jeff got home (his flight was delayed), there were only 4 spears left. I actually called Jeff to see if he thought there was any harm in letting a kid eat a pound of asparagus.

On Sunday night, we had steaks, asparagus and sweet and regular potatoes -- we needed a break from turkey (which Ian doesn't seem to like too much). I thinly sliced the potatoes and tossed them with herbs, garlic, shallots and oil and baked them in the oven. I didn't layer them very carefully, so only half of them were crispy. Sir Ian had finished his steak and asparagus, but came back because I held up what looked a lot like a "chip". He loved the potato chip, so I put some on his plate. He carefully used his finger to poke each and every one to make sure that it was crispy. He rejected all the sweet potatoes and anything he could push his finger through.

No comments: