Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Update

Ian had a doctor's visit last Thursday, together with Lia. Ian needed his MMR booster before school starts (do you hear the sound of my heart breaking as my little man is growing up so fast?), so we got it out of the way. Ian is now 44 inches tall (almost 90th percentile) and weighs 41 lbs (50th percentile).

He told me before we left that he didn't want to get a shot. I explained to him that even though it hurt, it was good for him so he wouldn't get sick. At the doctor's, I asked him if he would show Lia how a big boy acts at the doctor's -- no crying, listening to the doctor. He did very well, as usual, although it took a few tries to get him to cooperate with the vision and hearing tests. I guess the nurses are used to it, otherwise they would have a lot of kids "failing" the tests. The funny thing was when the nurse asked him to point the ear where he heard the noise, he wouldn't do it. When I asked him, "Is it your left ear or your right ear?" he started responding verbally to the sounds. "My left ear" or "my right ear". So not only is his hearing fine, he is very clear on right and left.

When it came time for his shot, he sat very still while I put my arm around him and hugged him. He always looks at the needle as it goes in. He watched the doctor put the needle up to his arm and as she pushed it in, he looked down and very calmly and clearly said, "OW." That's it. Meanwhile, Lia was still screaming on Wai Po's lap from her two shots. (I figured if she went first, it would be better because then she wouldn't see the needle and start screaming. Forgot that I would have to sit through the screaming while Ian got his shot.)

1 comment:

XW said...

I continue to be impressed and amazed by Ian! What a dream boy!!