Monday, March 16, 2009

Conversations from the back seat

Ian is such a big help in the car with Lia. The kids usually need a snack on the way home and if there's traffic, Lia can get quite fussy. So Ian usually has his drink and a snack and he is always ready to share with Lia. "Mommy, if Mei Mei wants some, then I will give it to her." One afternoon, he was feeding her a snack and she got impatient because he was sipping his juice instead of feeding her. I hear, "Mei Mei! Lai2 le, lai2 le! Den3 yi1 xia4 xia4!" ("It's coming, it's coming! Wait a second!") Cracked me up. That's what I usually say to them when they get impatient.

Yesterday, we went to Tia and Tio's for the day and Ian was very helpful handing Lia her bottle and passing me the empty bottle.

This morning's conversation was like this:
(Ian is eating his bread and I gave him a container of Cheerios* for Lia.)
Lia: "UH! UH!"
Ian: "Mei Mei, I am eating my bread. I will give it to you in a minute!"
Me: "In Chinese, please."
Ian: "Mei Mei, wo3 zai4 chi1 mian4 bao1, den3 yi1 xia4!"
(A few seconds of silence.)
Ian: "Mei Mei de shou3 hao3 da4!" ("Mei Mei's hands are really big!")
Me (in Chinese): "Whose hands are the biggest?"
Ian: "Daddy. Daddy de shou3 bi3 ni3 de shou3 yi1 dian3 dian3 da4." (Grammar is terrible, but "Daddy's hands are a little bit bigger than yours.")
Me: "Just a little?"
Ian: "Daddy is a little bit bigger than you."
Me: "Daddy is a lot bigger than me!"
Ian: "Yes, but Daddy is not as tall as the ceiling!"

Other commentary from Ian during bathtime with Lia:

  • "Mei Mei de du4 zi hao3 da4! Ta1 de du4 zi bi3 wo3 de da4!" ("Mei Mei's tummy is really big. Her tummy is bigger than mine!" Which is actually true.)
  • "Mei Mei de pi4 gu3 hao3 da4!" ("Mei Mei's tushy is really big!" Which is actually not true. And I told him he had better stop saying that by the time she's a teenager.)


*As an IP attorney, I have to qualify this by saying that these are not actually the Cheerios brand of toasted oat o-shaped cereal. These are actually Trader Joe's Os. But for ease of reference, I will call them Cheerios. If General Mills has a problem with me diluting their trademark, they can come after me.

No comments: