Last night as Ian was finishing his dinner, he asked if he could watch a Dora episode. It was a bit on the late side, so we told him no, it was getting late. The eyes started watering and the lower lip started trembling. We told him to wipe his hands and play for a little while before we went upstairs to get ready for bed. He stomped off his chair and went to the wipes box (which was next to Jeff on the kitchen table). He paused before opening the box, glared at us and said, "I am going to wipe my hands and then I am going to throw myself on the floor!" And he just looked at us with that pouty, defiant look of his.
I'm sorry, I tried to hold it in, but I just couldn't and I started laughing. Jeff lost it as well. As we're laughing and wiping tears from our eyes, Ian stomped over to the garbage can to throw away his wipey, then stomped back over to the play mat and threw himself onto the couch, then gradually rolled off of it onto the play mat. He's dramatic, but he's not going to sacrifice life and limb to make his point.
A few minutes later, he was fine because I played dinosaur with him for a while. I was a triceratops twice and was devoured by the T-rex both times (stomach, legs, feet and head), then I got to be an allosaurus and then a stegosaurus. I had to be a stegosaurus from the family room, through the kitchen and dining room and up the stairs. I need to invest in some knee pads. When we got upstairs, I told him to hurry up and brush his teeth, but he decided to hide under his desk (he loves that). So I said that Daddy was coming and we better brush our teeth real quick so we could hide before Daddy came upstairs. Like a flash, Ian was in the bathroom. He brushed his teeth in record time and then bounded up on his bed. I covered him with his blanket and he said, "Cover yourself, too, Mommy!" As we were waiting under the blanket, he whispered, "I can see the blankie, but I can't see your hand." Because it was very dark. "I don't hear Daddy. Do you hear Daddy?" Daddy finally came up and Ian stayed very quiet while Daddy looked for us. Then we threw off the blanket and yelled, "BOO!" I love that Ian still gets a kick out of that and that he thinks that he can't be seen when he's under the covers.
No comments:
Post a Comment