Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Ian's first art exhibit

Ian has really impressed us recently with his drawing skills, so I thought I would put together his first ever art exhibit to show you where he is at artistically.

About a week or so ago, he drew something on his chalkboard. "I draw a whale." And so he did. We thought it looked very much like a whale. Then he drew a bunch of shapes all around the whale. We asked him what those were. "The whale is eating chips." You can judge for yourself:

Note the detail of the fin.

Tonight, he drew a series of pictures for us. We weren't really paying attention and he said he was drawing a baby. Then he announced that he had drawn a baby. From where I was sitting, I thought he meant he had drawn a bus with a baby sitting inside it. He's done that before, with babies being represented by dots (he was under the impression that my belly button was the baby). Then he said was drawing a zebra. I went to look and noticed that his first drawing really was a baby!

It's got fingers and hair and legs and everything!

And here's the zebra (actually, it's the zebra's stripes):


Then he said he was going to draw a seal. When he was done, he critiqued it by saying, "That's not a seal." In the end, he decided that it was a seal. Again, you be the judge:


Then he drew a big bus. His latest thing, which was influenced by the art of Grandpa and Yu-an Yi, is that his lights have to "go out", so you will see rays of light coming out of his head lights and tail lights:


We got home early today for the holiday, so Ian and Daddy watched "Dinosaur". Thus, Ian said he was going to draw a dinosaur. When asked about the final product, he said it was a brontosaurus:

You really have to use your imagination for this one.
[FOLLOW-UP NOTE: The artist's father has clarified that when he drew a brontosaurus, he drew scales on the body. I believe the artist has depicted a close-up of the side of a brontosaurus.]

He drew this one at school on Monday:


And these were drawn in a card for us today:

I must say, that's a pretty darn good fire engine.


I still have to ask him what that last one is. Could be a couple of Oogulah Boogulahs.
[FOLLOW-UP NOTE: Upon further inquiry, the artist has identified the two red creatures as seals, the red lines on the left are an octopus ("It has a lot of legs!"), and the blue lines as a fire.]

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving weekend! We're planning on going to the parade (my first time ever to see it in person!) and then pig out at Tia Cindy and Tio Dennis' place.

No comments: