Monday, October 01, 2007

Let the embarassing moments begin...

We are just about there. Now that Ian is so verbal and picks up EVERYTHING, I am anticipating some very awkward and embarassing moments in public. He now not only asks "what" or "who", he has started asking "why" (in all three languages).

Let's start off with just a cute story. Ian has a habit of rubbing his upper lip a lot. We finally started putting some Aquaphor or Vaseline on his lip and it seemed to help. I think it was just a bit dry and his rubbing his saliva all over it probably aggravated it. So Saturday morning I put some Aquaphor on his lip and he asked me if I wanted some, so I said yes and let him put some on my lip. Of course, he takes his finger and really digs into the Aquaphor. After removing the big glob and showing him how to just put a little on his finger, I let him apply it to my lip. I said, "Xie4 xie4", but I guess he didn't hear me, because he promptly said, "You have cream. Ian put cream for Mommy. You wanna say thank you?"

OK, now for the more embarassing story. For the past few months, Jeff has been taking on the nightly bath and bed duties because I have been too tired at the end of the day and it's just getting harder to bend over the tub. So Ian has asked Daddy some questions and Daddy has very honestly answered him. Ian likes to put his forefingers on his nipples when he doesn't have a shirt on (I know he is going to hate me for this when he's a teenager, but it just has to be told) and I guess he finally asked Jeff what they were. So Jeff told him that those are nipples. For the past week or so, I've heard him tell Jeff after his bath that Ian has nipples. Yesterday, when we were at Stop & Shop, Jeff was pushing him in the shopping cart and Ian says to him, completely out of the blue, "Daddy has nipples." So Jeff quickly says, "Yes, that's right" because if you don't acknowledge Ian's statements right away, he will repeat them at increasing volume until you do. Ian followed it up with "Daddy has TWO nipples!" Excellent. Luckily, it was pretty noisy in the supermarket, so I don't think anyone overheard that.

When he woke up from his nap later, Jeff went in to get him and I heard them on the baby monitor. Ian again mentioned the fact that Ian has nipples. And Daddy has nipples. Pause. "Does Mommy have nipples, too?" "Yes, Ian." "Oh."

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

No comments: