Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Erratic sleeping patterns -- growth spurt or terrible twos?

We had an odd weekend. Ian took a FOUR HOUR nap on Saturday. Then just before noon on Sunday he said he wanted another nai-nai, so I asked him if he wanted to go to sleep, thinking he would say no and not want the bottle. Well, he said yes, even after I asked a couple of times. He actually went upstairs and wanted to get into his crib. So ok, I put him in. Jeff and I went to clean out the basement and garage and had the monitor on. It was pretty quiet, but then he started to sing. He was singing on and off until about 2:30. I made some lunch and Jeff thought we should go get him, but I suggested we eat first, then go get him. By 3:00, it was silent. He had fallen asleep! He didn't wake up until 5:30. Was it wrong to leave him up there? Who knows? He went to bed that night at 10:00 and didn't wake up until 7:30 the next morning.

Then of course, on Monday, he didn't nap at school. He zonked out in the car around 6:30, slept through the transfer to his bed, woke up briefly at 10:00 for a diaper change and a bottle, then promptly fell back asleep until 8:30!!! (I had a conference call that I was taking from home, so I didn't go in until after the call.)

He didn't nap again Tuesday, but managed to stay up and active until we put him to bed around 8:45. Yesterday, he napped, but he was definitely hyper and gave me a hard time during his bath. First he wouldn't go upstairs and then once he got in the bath, he didn't want to get out. When I pushed the drain down, he screamed, "NO!" and the tears started welling up. I said we had to go brush our teeth, but he didn't want to. "I don't want it! I wanna go SHOPPING!" So I asked him what he wanted to buy and he said, "CAKE!" I do not know what that is about. He started the whole shopping thing about a month ago. He would get on his tricycle and say, "Bye, Mommy. I go shopping!" And I definitely don't know what the cake thing is about. He doesn't even like cake. The day before he said he wanted to go shopping for cupcakes and laughed, so he was just being silly, but in the bathtub he was very upset and insisted he wanted to go buy cake.

This morning he was just a monster. Everything was no and he had a time out before we got into the car.

These are the times you have to remind yourself that he's really a sweet kid and he's allowed to be a terrible two sometimes. Like right after bathtub outburst, he plugged up the drain and continued to play and I coughed (might be allergies, might be a cold) and he didn't turn around, but he asked, "Are you ok, Mommy?" Or at dinner Tuesday night, he wanted some tomatoes, so I sliced one up and gave it to him. He took a bite, then said, "Xie4 xie4, Mommy, xie4 xie4!" ("Thank you, Mommy, thank you!")

No comments: