Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The yacht chic ringbearer

Ta-dah! (Ian likes to say that these days.) Here's Ian in his "yacht chic" outfit. You can't see it in this photo, but he's got on khaki Keds.
He was a big hit on the yacht. Unfortunately, the yacht's side propeller broke, so we were unable to leave the dock, but we had a great time anyway. Towards the end of the evening, Ian wanted to go back up to the top deck and we sat there looking at the boats and cars and the drawbridge going up and down. Then he started singing. Uncle Evan and his lovely wife Janet (we went to their wedding last March) and cousin Brooke came out to join us and Ian was so impressed that they were able to sing "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt", "The Farmer in the Dell", "B-I-N-G-O", "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "Twinkle Twinkle".

I know everyone wants to see this and I haven't had time to download/upload our pictures from the wedding. In any case, we don't have as many because Jeff and Ian were both in the wedding party. This picture was taken by the matron of honor's parents.
Ian did walk down the aisle on his own two feet, but I had to walk with him. He started walking by himself, but then he got distracted by Jeff's cousin, Jorge, who was sitting in the back row. Ian just loves him. Jorge's nickname is Tutti, so Ian asked "Donde esta Tutti?" all weekend.

Ian wanted to give the pillow to Tutti, so I finally just took his hand and we walked down together. When we got to the altar, I told him to give the pillow to Dennis. He let go of my hand and thrust the pillow at Dennis with one hand. Mission accomplished.

After the rest of the bridal party came in and the beautiful bride was there with her dad, everyone was quiet as the pastor started the ceremony. Ian was sitting in my lap, leaning back, taking it all in. He looked at the pastor as he was speaking, pointed to him and asked me, "Who dat guy?" Thankfully, though, it wasn't loud enough for anyone else but me and Jeff to hear. When the pastor asked the parents to stand, Ian saw the groom's father, a.k.a., Dennis' daddy. He was so excited I could hear his quick intake of breath and then he started stammering, "D-d-d-d..." I said, "Dennis' daddy" and he said, "Yah!"

It was a beautiful ceremony and Ian didn't scream or cry at all during the whole thing. He sat quietly and listened to the pastor for the first 10 minutes, then started eyeing the bridesmaids. I looked up to see Laila smiling at Ian. Ian was giving her the eye and playing coy. (The next day after brunch, he gave Laila THREE kisses!) The last few minutes were spent playing with the Easter donation envelopes, but we managed to keep quiet for the entire 30 minutes.

Side note: He had the bridesmaids' names memorized after a day with Cindy a few weeks back. I didn't realize that Cindy had showed him pictures and I was showing him a picture of the ladies in preparation for the wedding the week before the wedding. He looked at the picture and said, "La-la." I thought it was a coincidence and not that he was saying Laila. I had to remind him about the names of Diana (matron of honor) and Ashley. He recognized Tia Cindy and Abuelita and Mommy. And then I pointed to the last person and asked him, "Who's this?" He responded very clearly and without missing a beat, "Noelle." I was flabbergasted.

Anyway, so at the wedding, he already knew "La-la", Noelle, "Ash-a-lee" and "Di-an-na". He gave them all kisses whenever they asked. Sadly, though, he refused to kiss Tia Cindy on her wedding day. He also refused Dennis, which was a surprise. He was following Dennis around like a puppy on the yacht. I guess he knew that this was it, they're married and the party's over...

No comments: