Friday, April 13, 2007

Musical taste

Well, Ian has had an opinion about what sort of music he likes to listen to for quite some time. Back at Christmastime, he made Grandpa change radio stations in the car until he found something he liked (which turned out to be Johnny Cash). Back when was 4 months old and first starting daycare, there was a caregiver who played the guitar and he told us that Ian seemed to particularly enjoy his renditions of Johnny Cash songs, so maybe that's the reason for that.

He has also looked up with much alarm during last year's Americal Idol (which we had gotten hooked on) when there were particularly bad performances.

Sometimes when we're in the car he demands "Yin1 yue4!" and other times "Turn it off! No yin1 yue4!" Depends on his mood. He always seems to enjoy classical. Some hip-hop song came on one day and he wanted me to change it to classical. Now whenever something different comes on, he asks me, "Zhe4 shi4 she2 me yin1 yue4?" ("What is this music?") Like when Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" came on the other evening. I told him it was Paula Abdul and then asked if he liked it. "No, bu1 xi3 huan1." ("No, I don't like it.") I said, "Hey, it's Paula -- it's fun." "NO! I DON'T WANT DAT!" When we got home, we went upstairs and he went straight to the clock radio by my bed and turned it on to classical music, looked up at me and said, "Yin1 yue4!"

It's not that he doesn't like dance music, because he did want to listen to some other dance tunes yesterday. I think he just realizes that Paula Abdul can't sing.

No comments: