Well, we got hit on Friday with another snow/ice/sleet storm. This one was not quite as bad as the one on Valentine's Day, but it was still pretty dangerous to drive in. Of course, it didn't look bad on Friday morning, so I went to work and took Ian to school. The school warned me that they might close at noon, so I was forewarned. Getting to work wasn't too bad, except that towards the end of the trip, the road was starting to slush up a little and changing lanes got a bit slippery.
The school called around 1:00 to say that they would be closing at 3:00. Ms. Pat also told me that Ian had refused to nap and was careening around the classroom.
I was planning to leave at 2:00, but after checking traffic reports, decided to leave around 1:30 to give myself extra time. I got on the road around 1:40 and managed to arrive at school just around 2:55... Top speed on the highway (which went from 3 lanes to 2 because it hadn't been plowed) was around 40-45 mph. Thank goodness for the Highlander!
Ian and I arrived home safely around 3:40. He had passed out about 15 minutes into the drive. We put Jeff's big down jacket over him and set up the cell phones so that we could hear him if he woke up and he slept until about 5:00 and Jeff went to get him, thinking he heard Ian. Ian greeted him with eyes wide open. People have asked us whether Ian will be scared when he wakes up in the car (we've done this before at friend's homes) and I think the poor kid is so used to us leaving him in the car for his nap that it doesn't faze him. Anyway, Jeff brought him in and Ian fell asleep again on Jeff's shoulder. So we sat and watched TV with Ian sleeping on Jeff for about an hour. Jeff's shoulder was soaking wet by the time Ian woke up. That kid can really sweat.
No comments:
Post a Comment