Friday, December 15, 2006

HAPPY 2ND BIRTHDAY, IAN!!!

Can you believe Ian turned TWO today? My baby isn't a baby anymore! He was in such a great mood when he woke up (as he usually is). Just look at that face! Last night I baked cupcakes for his birthday party at school and I put together goodie bags (Elmo stickers, snowman stickers and cute animal ink stamps). I have to say that the cupcakes turned out better than I expected. I ordered the Elmo candies to go on top of the cupcakes, Elmo cupcake papers, white frosting and colored sprinkles and used Duncan Heinz yellow cake mix. The kids loved them. I also bought Elmo cups, plates and napkins and a "stick the nose on Elmo" game. I managed to finish up everything at work and get to his school a little after 4:00. Ian went to his cubby as soon as he saw me and wanted to put on his jacket ("Jacket! Jacket!") to go home. He was very upset that we weren't going home right away. The other kids eagerly sat down at the table and waited for Ian to calm down. Apparently, they had been anticipating Elmo and cupcakes all day. Ian wasn't so excited. Ms. Pat blasted "Happy Birthday" from the CD player and everyone sang. Once Ian saw the cupcakes, he willingly sat down and started nibbling around the edges, eating the paper along with the icing and cake.He's wearing a shirt that Auntie Sunhee gave him. "I" is for Ian!

We went to Ian's favorite restaurant for dinner with Uncle Dennis and Tia Cindy. Ian ate very well -- he barely left any Chicken Martini (thin chicken cutlets breaded in panko in lemon and white wine sauce) for Daddy. We have been going to this restaurant since I was pregnant, so we know the owner, John, quite well. Every time we go, he offers to show Ian the kitchen and wants to take Ian home to his wife. John is a very jolly Albanian fellow and Ian is quite comfortable with him by now. At the end of dinner, Tia and Dennis gave Ian his birthday present. He was pretty enthralled by the wrapping paper, which had the alphabet on it. But when he opened it, it was sheer joy -- an Elmo book! And it could talk! He was completely engrossed in the book and we were getting the check when John said he was going to bring a slice of cake for Ian. He then blasted "Happy Birthday" throughout the restaurant (I'm sure the other diners were thrilled) and all of the staff sang to Ian while they brought out chocolate mousse cake with a candle and some apple slices. I think the other customers joined in as well. Ian looked stunned and was a bit upset about having to let go of his Elmo book, but he applauded pretty enthusiastically when they finished. He recovered enough to blow out the candle (with Daddy's help). He wasn't interested in cake, but did enjoy a slice of apple.
When we got home, we called Abuelita and Grandpa and he opened the present that Daddy picked out for him -- a DA bombero!!!
He couldn't get the wrapping paper off it fast enough and wouldn't let anyone else touch it. He pushed it all around the kitchen for about 5 minutes, then he got distracted by other toys, then found the box it came in and decided it was more fun to climb through the box. Again, who needs expensive toys?All in all, quite an exciting day for Ian. We ended his birthday by reading the "Wheels on the Bus" book from Jiu Jiu and Jiu Ma. We are now parents of a two year old!

No comments: