Wednesday, November 02, 2005

We've had a busy few days, so I'm finally getting around to posting again. We had the Kims over on Saturday afternoon and Ian was pretty good, even though he didn't nap well. I think Ian enjoyed the chaos of having four other kids in the house. We made chicken fingers for the kids' dinner and Ian loved them! I think he ate a whole piece of chicken.

He did wake up in the middle of the night, though, and when he woke up on Sunday, he sounded worse, so I took him to the doctor. She said to increase the albuterol treatments as needed and to go back again on Monday. So Ian and I spent the day at home while Jeff had to go to a business meeting. Ian seemed a bit more lethargic and clingy than usual, but he was good. The thing about him is that even when he's not feeling well, he is still a good boy, just a little bit fussier.

Sunday night was not a good night at all. He kept Jeff up all night. When I took over in the morning and gave him a treatment, it didn't have any effect at all. I took him to the doctor and we gave him a treatment there and it had no effect. The doctor measured Ian's oxygen level with this meter that clamps onto a finger or toe. The first reading was in the high 80's, whereas it was at 97 on Sunday. So we gave him a second treatment. The reading went up to 95, but Ian was still wheezing and coughing, so the doctor gave him a third treatment. Ian fell asleep during the third treatment (he was being very good and very patient through all of this). When the doctor measured his oxygen level, it was back down to 87. She took it three times and the highest reading was 90. Even though Ian sounded much better and was sound asleep, the doctor said that she could not send us home if his oxygen level was below 92, so we would have to go to the emergency room.

So Ian and I went to the emergency room at White Plains Hospital (where he was born). Of course, by the time we got into the examining room, he was chatting and laughing and the nurses and doctors asked what was wrong with him. The triage nurse measured his oxygen level and got a reading of 95, so he was fine. (I knew he was fine because he screamed the whole way over to the hospital, so clearly his oxygen intake was perfectly ok!) Jeff arrived just as I was getting Ian dressed. Ian was very happy to see Daddy. I think it was Ian's way of getting us both out of work and spending time with him! Anyway, I figure the trip to the emergency room gave us peace of mind that he didn't have anything serious and the wheezing was just in his nose and not in his lungs. Plus, it was like a practice run to the emergency room in case we ever need to go for real.

The only bad part was that Ian missed the Halloween party at school. We didn't get to put on his costume! Never fear -- we will dress him up this weekend and get some photos of him.

He went back to school on Tuesday and was a little cranky, but Jeff went to nebulize him during the day and that seemed to make him much happier. I went today and nebulized him before his nap and the teachers said it made a huge difference. Jeff got to participate in music class with him yesterday and today he fingerpainted. Christina made paint out of shaving cream, glue and paint and Ian really enjoyed the texture. The teachers said that Ian is much more into the painting and art now than he was before.

He is definitely clapping and is definitely saying his first word. When he wants his bottle he says, "Nai nai nai nai nai..." It is very clear now. The newest development tonight was that while he was in the bathtub, he put his face in the water! He likes to put his hands on the bottom of the tub and he will stare at them. Tonight, he did that and slowly lowered his face. I was worried he'd put his face under and panic, but he very slowly and deliberately put his face in and then I heard a slurping noise. He was drinking the bath water! He did this 6 or 7 times and was very serious and determined each time. Sometimes he would pick up his head snorting and other times he would look up and smile at me like he was very proud of his accomplishment.

Anyway, that's the latest. Pictures will be added when I have more time. I have been a bit preoccupied between Ian being sick and my Wai-Gong passing away on Tuesday.

No comments: