Sunday, August 23, 2009

A day with Carolyn and Peter

The week before Allie's wedding, we went over to Kai Yi-Po's house to play with Carolyn and Peter. It's so great that now the three of them can play together. Kai Yi-Po had some water guns that also shoot out little plastic balls for each of the big kids (sorry, Lia!) and Ian loved it. We went to Ikea to have lunch and let the kids play there, thinking it would be better to go to the part later after it cooled down a bit. It wasn't actually that hot out, but Ikea is always fun. Plus, it kids got to eat free, so woo-hoo! They played while Kai Yi-Po and Eva bought lunch:
From 2009-08-07 Fun with Carolyn and Peter


Peter loved this stuffed alligator:

Peter was the enforcer. Some kid took a toy away from Ian and Peter loudly protested, "Hey, he had it first! Give it back!" Thanks, Peter!

The kids also got to play in the play area after lunch, but there's a limit of 45 minutes, so I did a little bit of shopping and we took Lia to play in the kids' furniture section. Then we went back to Kai Yi-Po's house for a nap. Of course, my children didn't nap. Lia just kept pushing it. So after letting everyone else get a little nap, we headed off to the park. We were too late for the train and the merry-go-round, but the play areas were more than enough fun for them. They played for almost 2 hours before we headed back for dinner. Kai Yi-Po and Yi-Gong made a great dinner for us and then the kids scooted off to play while the adults finished eating. We heard raucous laughter coming from upstairs and Yi-Gong went to check it out and reported that Ian was on the potty and the other 3 kids were in the bathroom watching. I managed to get a shot, but not before Lia ran out of the bathroom:


It was getting late, so I wiped down Ian and Kai Yi-Po tried to give Lia a bath (not 100% successful, but she was relatively clean) and we changed them into their PJs for the ride home. I think Peter wanted to come out with us to say good-bye, but Eva didn't want him to go outside and tried to distract him with the pair of snowboots that Ian passed down to Peter. Instead, Peter came running out wearing the snowboots, yelling, "THANK YOU FOR THE SNOWBOOTS!" He is so funny! Before I could get my camera out, he started running back into the house. I managed to get him to stop and turn around before he went inside:


So much fun! Both kids passed out completely in the car. I thought Ian might actually make it home because he kept talking to me and he asked, "How many books can we read when we get home? Just one? Because it is very late?" and "Oh! You forgot to give me vitamins. Can I have my vitamins when we get home?" I answered yes to both, thinking the chances of him actually being awake would be slim. He passed out about 20 minutes into the ride, which was only about 40 minutes.

Of course, he woke up when Jeff picked him up out of the car and sleepily asked for his vitamins. Then, when he was in his bed, he tearfully said, "But Mommy said I could read a book!" So I read a book with him and turned out the lights. Jeff was downstairs watching the Yankees play the Red Sox. This was the epically long 15 inning game. At that point, it was only 7 innings, I think. About 10 minutes after I got downstairs, Ian opens the door and says, "I didn't have my vitamins!" So we caved and gave him vitamins and he settled himself on Jeff's lap. At which point Jeff completely caved and told Ian he could stay up to watch the Yankees play (this is why kids become fans -- because it means they can stay up late!). He told Ian he could watch until the end of the game. I thought, "That's probably not the best idea." Well, I had to be the bad guy when it was midnight and the game was still tied. At that point, Ian thought the game ended every time there was a commercial, so it's not like he was all that upset about it.

And so, another Yankees fan was born.

P.S. Ian has been watching games since that night and now knows a lot of the players numbers and can tell you the batting order. The other day he said his favorite player is Johnny Damon.

No comments: