Monday, August 11, 2008

Preschool Politics

Whenever I ask Ian who he played with at school or who his friends are, he usually runs through everyone in his classroom (The Little Explorers), plus a few other kids who recently moved up to The Stargazers. His favorite friend since he's been at this school has mainly been Archana. She turned 4 already and moved up back in March. Last week, he listed all of the kids in his classroom, but none of the kids in Stargazers. I asked him about Archana.

Ian: "NO! I don't LIKE Archana!"
Me: "Why not?"
Ian: "Archana is NOT a Little Explorer. She is in Stargazers. Stargazers are not my friends!"
Me: "What about Taylor?"
Ian: "No!"
Me: "What about Amanda?
Ian: "No! Just Little Explorers!"

I do think his concept of "friends" is confused with "classmates". We'll work on that.

He also told me that there are two Saras at school. Ms. Sara is the teacher for the Stargazers and Sera is one of his friends.

Ian: "No, Mommy, it's not SARA. One is Sara and one is Seh-ra." (He rolled his "r" on the second one.)
Me: "Say-rah?"
Ian: "NO, SEH-ra!" (Again, with the rolled "r".)

Which reminds me that he was correcting my pronunciation yesterday when we were playing Spanish Bingo.* (First, we watched Dora in Chinese and went through all of the Dora flashcards in Chinese, then decided to switch to Spanish.) I got the chip with juice on it, el jugo.

Me: "Ian, is this el jugo?
Ian: "No, no, no. Not el HEW-go, it's el HOO-go."

That's what I thought I said. Whatever.

*This is a cool game that Francis and Zeynep got for Ian for his birthday last year. The Bingo cards have pictures and Spanish words and you pick the chips out of a bag to match them to the cards. We don't really play it like Bingo yet, we just like to match the chips to all the places on the cards.

No comments: