Friday, May 09, 2008

Ian's new umbrella

I went to Buy Buy Baby my last week at home to get some stuff for Lia and exchange the hard BPA-containing plastic bottles for non-BPA bottles (see http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/health/22well.html?_r=1&sq=A%20hard%20plastic%20is%20raising%20hard%20questions&st=nyt&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&scp=1&adxnnlx=1209081661-xsPdcI3MgVjGcMwGDAlnHA and http://cerhr.niehs.nih.gov/chemicals/bisphenol/bisphenol-eval.html for more information). I saw these great little kid umbrellas and there was a bright green one with dinosaurs on it, so I got one for him. I recently got him some rubber boots that are also bright green and look like dragons or dinosaurs. He won't wear the boots yet (he told us he couldn't wear them because it wasn't snowing out), but he LOVES the umbrella. The first day he took it to school, the kids were all in the classroom across the hall from his, but he didn't want to put his stuff away first. He wanted to wear his bright green windbreaker and bring his umbrella into the other classroom first to show everyone. It was raining a little yesterday morning, so we took the umbrella to school. It wasn't raining yesterday afternoon, but I asked him in the car what was on his umbrella. "Sores," he said. What? "Sores. It's not dinosaurs, Mommy, it's just 'saurs."

Also, I have a song in my head that is driving me crazy every day because of repeated viewings of the "'speriment episode" of "Blue's Clues". Ian loves to sing it in the car:

Well the Sun's a hot star,
Mercury's hot, too.
Venus is the brightest planet,
Earth's home to me and you.
Mars is the red one,
And Jupiter's most wide.
Saturn's got those icy rings,
And Uranus spins on its side.
Neptune's really windy,
And Pluto's really small.
Well we wanted to name the planets,
And now we've named them all.


And he'll sing it once and then say, "One more time!" just like in the episode. Then he gets silly and sings, "Well, the sun's a hot tomato!", and collapses into giggles.

No comments: