Last night, Jeff and I had a planned night out in the city. We were invited to dinner and a show by my company and we had it all set that we would drop Ian off at Tia and Tio's. The weather got pretty nasty, so it was touch and go for a while, but in the end it wasn't so bad down by us. However, Ian's school wanted all the kids to be picked up by 2:00 to avoid any problems, so Ian came home and the plan was for him to take a nap. He tried to avoid it at first ("I need to eat an apple."), but then when asked if he wanted to go to Tia and Tio's, we got an enthusiastic "yes". So he was motivated to go take his nap. I read him his truck book first. "This book is in Eng-a-lish." Then he pulled out another book. "I think this book is in Spanish." It's a bilingual book, so I told him that there was English. I read the cover "A is for airplane" and he seemed satisfied. Then I read "A esta para avion". "That's Spanish, Mommy." And with that, he took the book away from me and put it back on the shelf. "I pick anudder book. Is this one in Eng-a-lish?" So we read "Green Eggs and Ham". My Spanish is just not good enough.
Then I turned off the light and lay down with him for a little while. He kept squirming and wanting to sleep on me, so I told him that he had to lie down and be still or we couldn't go to Tia and Tio's.
Me: "Do you want to see Tia Cindy and Tio Dennis?"
Ian: "Yes. And Jordan, too?" (That's Dennis' youngest brother.)
Me: "No, Jordan went home."
Ian: "And Dennis' daddy?"
Me: "No, Dennis' daddy went home, too. They went back to Florida."
Ian: "Oh. To Grandpa and Abuelita's house?"
Me: "No, Jordan and Dennis' daddy have their own house in Florida."
After a few minutes, I got up to go. He got a little weepy, but settled for a bottle. All was quiet on the monitor for a while, so I figured he drank his milk and fell asleep. About 15 minutes later, Jeff said that Ian was singing. His latest song? "Shake it, senorita, shake it if you can; shake it, shake it, shake it, shake it, senorita!" First he sang it fast and then he sang it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. For the next hour or so, he was just singing. (I thought he learned that one at school, but this morning Gina said she had no idea where he got that from!) He also sang "Frosty the Snowman". Well, he didn't nap, but at least he lay down for a while before we headed into the city. He was so excited to go to see Tia and Tio. When we got him out of bed and changed, he said he was going downstairs to go see Tia and Tio. "Are you ready, Mommy? Let's go see Tia and Dennis!"
Shake it, senorita!
No comments:
Post a Comment