Monday, December 03, 2007

Recent Ian sayings

OK, this one started when we went to the hospital for the sibling class. The White Plains Hospital has a logo where the WP are connected. Ian and I were waiting in the lobby for Daddy to park the car and he observed, "The W is holding up the P." Then we went for pizza a couple of weekends ago and also this past Saturday. There's a neon PIZZA sign in the window and we were sitting at a table looking out. Which means the sign is backwards for us. He said, "The Z is holding up the A." And tonight, he looked at the Diet Coke can and said, "The G is holding up the O." I said that it was a C and he said, "Oh. The C is holding up the O." If you look at the logo, the C and the O are connected, but the K and the E are not.

*****************

Whenever you ask him something these days, his first response is "I don't know." He says it with a funny inflection. Accent is on the "I", so it's like "I dunno." Like tonight, when he was picking out his dinosaur sticker after going on the potty (the selection process can take quite a while because he has to review all of the stickers that he already took), I was trying to hurry him along and asked him which one he wanted. "I dunno. I dunno what I want." But usually, he says he doesn't know, but then proceeds to answer your question.

*****************

When we were at the pizzeria on Saturday, I guess I was unconsciously pursing my lips while Jeff was getting Ian settled at the table. Ian was standing on the bench looking at me and he suddenly said, "Whatchoo want, Mommy? You wanna kiss?" He caught me off-guard and I just looked at him for a second and while I was figuring out what to say, he followed with, "OK, I give you a kiss." Like he was doing me a big favor.

*****************

Last night, we were watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas", which we realized was probably over Ian's head at this point. Ian had sat down on the sofa with one of my cookbooks and he told me he was going to look in Spanish or something like that. I told him that the book was in English and he said, "I look in the book for nipples in Spanish." I wasn't sure I heard him correctly and asked him to repeat that. He said it again. Jeff laughed and said that when they were upstairs during Ian's bath, Ian asked him what the word for nipples was in Spanish. Jeff couldn't remember, so he told Ian that he would have to look it up in the dictionary. Every few minutes or so and throughout the whole viewing of Charlie Brown, he would say "I look in the book for nipples in Spanish."

*****************

He also responds with "sure" a lot. Example: Tonight, he brought home a souvenir koala keychain that one of his classmates bought in Australia. I was admiring it and I asked him, "Can I have it?" His response, without missing a beat: "Sure."

*****************

Ian likes to eat shredded cheese. So when he asks for macaroni and cheese, what he means is plain pasta and a bowl of shredded cheese. Just in case you're with him and he asks you for it. He also told me the other day that the long pasta is called spaghetti. And he didn't want that. He wanted the small pasta.

No comments: