Monday, April 16, 2007

"Turn around, don't drown."

That's the advice being given by our local weatherman and news channel. They are warning everyone not to proceed into any flooded roadways because you never know how deep the water is. Apparently, the entire county is in a state of emergency. Pretty much all of the major roadways have been closed due to flooding, so I'm working from home. There's no way I can get Ian to school today. I figure by the time I get there and back, it'll be time to pick him up again. I called the school and was told that it took Ms. Jenn an hour and a half to get there (I think it normally takes her about 20-30 minutes).

Good news is the water has completely receded from the basement. Bad news is there is a layer of mud down there and the drywall is completely shot. We'll probably have to throw out the couch and all the furniture down there. I think we may be redecorating completely in plastic.

We also have no heat or hot water. There was enough hot water left in our huge tank for me to take a shower this morning (Ian and Jeff took theirs last night), but there's not much left. Thank goodness we have electricity and internet. It seems our landline is also not working, but we just got a phone installed on Saturday that's linked to cable and that seems to work fine. The house is still relatively warm, but it's getting colder. The other good news is that it's around 50F today, so nothing will be freezing up.

Anyway, Ian's playing with his Play-Doh (Daddy made him a couple of buses that can also be used as a choo-choo train). I'm working remotely here in the kitchen (my remote hookup actually works!). I just sneezed and Ian said, "Bless you, Mommy." I said, "Thank you, Ian." He tilted his head and asked me, "Do you haff boogies?" "No, I don't have boogies." "Do you haff boogies, Mommy?" "No, Ian." "OK."

It looks like the waters are receding and the rain has lightened up, so at least the drying out process is starting. Apparently, New Rochelle got 6.75 inches yesterday. Amazing.

No comments: